Thursday, January 19, 2012

As A Writer

As a writer, I somewhat feel confident with my work. Writing has never been my strong point because it always seems as though I'm always doing something wrong. Whether it's to many run on sentences, using a comma in the wrong place, writing an incomplete sentence, or not staying on topic. I can admit that I am a rambler when it comes to writing. I can ramble on and on and soon the audience will lose interest in my writing. I like to write to inform my audience more than entertaining them. I don't write to entertain my audience. I write to entertain myself if that makes sense. So maybe I should ask myself "How Do I Entertain My Audience Instead of Myself?". I think in order for me to entertain my audience I need to put more effort into my writing.
I need to write with a true "purpose" instead of just writing to complete an assignment. To be honest I am not the kind of person to show emotions towards things, and because of that my writing is affected by it. I need to learn how to add more emotions and show emphasis behind it to entertain my audience. I need to be more confident in my writing and that will help me a lot in the long-run.
I never knew how important formal writing really was until my English class last semester. She basically broke it down to the basics of its importance and that helped me understand that just writing on Facebook/Twitter will not get me anywhere in the future. From that class I became more familiar with writing persuasive and expository papers. They were not perfect when I wrote them, but I understood the difference in just writing to write and writing with structure. I need to know "When To Write With a Purpose?". Do I write with a purpose throughout the whole paper? What if I run out of stuff to say? What if I'm not being myself? What if the audience isn't entertained when I tried really hard? All of these questions are what intimidates me to write. My mom always told me that if I read more then it will help me with my writing and my vocabulary. That can also be a confidence booster for me to engaged in other people's writing to improve my own writing. This semester I hope to end up more comfortable with my writing for audiences all over the world or just personal audiences. "To Entertain" will soon be my strong point and maybe I can start my own blog to entertain audiences, such as teenagers, on daily life crisis.

3 comments:

  1. I have the same problem with entertaining myself. When I'm writing the way that I know it's entertaining to others is I let my peers read it before I turn it in or submit it. Continue to ask yourself questions when you're writing like, would this be substantial, informative, and entertaining to my audience. The questions that you brought up seem like a good way to entertain your audience, continue to ask these questions and I think you will have a great and entertaining paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should be more confident in your writing because you are a good writer. Sometimes, I write to just complete assignments too. The questions you asked are good questions to ask yourself when you're writing. Try not to dwell on the negative questions such as "What if I run out of stuff to say? and "What if the audience isn't entertained when I tried really hard?". You'll intimidate yourself if you dwell on those questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Chun and Melonie. You ask very good questions that all writers should ask. I think that your consideration of these questions shows in your writing. I also think that Melonie's advice not to dwell on the negative questions is great advice; the more you dwell on the "what if's" the less writing you're doing. Often the best way to overcome most writing difficulties is to just write, write, write-if you get writer's block, just keep writing-whatever comes into your head. Eventually, you'll get back on track and you can edit the other stuff out later. Everyone who struggles with these fears about writing should read the Brainstorming and Writing the Rough Draft pages on the class website; the first has great advice on how to come up with a focus for your writing and the second will make you feel much better about writing crappy first drafts.

    ReplyDelete